If you are looking for a quick and easy recipe to throw in your slow cooker, this is the recipe for you!
This recipe for Slow Cooker Beans and Rice (which I adapted from the blog “A Year of Slow Cooking” at http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/06/crockpot-beans-and-rice-recipe.html) literally only requires 5 minutes of preparation. Once prepared, set it and forget it until it is dinner time!
Serves: Approximately 5-6 people
EVOO cooking spray
1 TB extra virgin olive oil
1 1/4 cups of whole brown rice (do not use instant rice!)
1 15 oz can of no-salt-added black beans, drained and rinsed
1 15 oz can of reduced-sodium pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 14.5 oz can of no-salt-added diced tomatoes, juice reserved
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 T chopped onion flakes OR fresh onion (I normally use a fresh onion but I forgot to buy one at the store this time)
2 T nutritional yeast (optional)
Sea salt, to taste
3/4 cup of the salsa of your choice
Shredded part-skim Mexican or cheddar cheese (optional)
1. Spray your slow cooker with EVOO spray to prevent sticking.
2. Add EVOO to bottom of slow cooker. Add rice and stir until the rice is coated with the olive oil.
3. Add drained and rinsed beans.
4. Drain juice of tomatoes into measuring cup. Add water to measuring cup until you have 2 1/4 cups of liquid total. Add tomatoes and tomato juice/water mixture.
5. Add seasonings.
6. Cover and cook on high for 3 to 3 1/2 hours OR on low for about 6 hours.
7. Turn the slow cooker temperature down to low. Add in salsa, stir, cover, and continue cooking for 15-20 minutes.
8. Upon serving, top with additional salsa and/or cheese (if using).
If you add cheese to this recipe it will be vegetarian. If you choose to eat it without cheese then it is vegan.
I served my beans and rice with a side of green beans and a side of organic, unsweetened natural apple sauce. YUMMY and EASY!