Yes, you read that right…Hearty Chili Soup Pizza! A couple of weeks ago I was thinking about potential pizza toppings and decided it would be fun, interesting, and (hopefully) delicious to combine two of my favorite comfort foods: chili and pizza!
Hearty Chili Soup Pizza
Servings: 6 slices
1 pre-made whole wheat pizza crust (you can also use a homemade pizza crust, if you prefer)
1 14.5 oz can of chili-ready beans (I used Mrs. Grimes brand)
1 1/2 to 2 tsp of chili seasoning (depending on your taste preference)
1/2 of a small yellow onion, diced
2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
shredded part-skim cheddar cheese
1 bunch of green onions, diced
1. Preheat your oven to the specified temperature on the pizza crust package.
2. Heat chili-ready beans, onions, and tomatoes in a small saucepan over medium heat until hot.
3. Spread bean mixture onto pizza crust. I used a slotted spoon to place the bean mixture onto the crust, and then used a regular spoon to pour a small amount of the remaining liquid on top of the bean mixture. This helps ensure that the toppings are not too runny and do not make a mess in your oven!
4. Sprinkle desired amount of cheese on top of the bean mixture. Bake the pizza for the specified time found on the pizza crust package. My pizza baked for approximately 9-10 minutes until the crust was golden brown and the cheese was melted.
5. Sprinkle the top of the pizza with oyster crackers and green onions.
6. Cut into 6 slices and eat!
There are several additional ways to make this pizza. You could use leftover chili as long as it is a fairly chunky chili, or purchase canned chili (vegetarian, in my case) and use that. Either way that you choose to make it, it is bound to be tasty!
I would say that my first unique pizza creation was a success!
And in an effort to pretend like this meal was healthy, I added some steamed broccoli and cauliflower on the side for good measure 😉 .