This is one tasty soup!
Spicy Tomato Vegetable Soup
Slightly adapted from this Giada De Laurentiis recipe.
Servings: 4-6, depending on your appetite (probably closer to 4 )
water, for cooking
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 small yellow onion, diced
2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
1 26 oz jar of marinara sauce (I used Sorrisos brand)
4 cups of water
4 tsp of Better Than Bouillon No Chicken soup base
1 15 oz can of cannellini (Great Northern) beans, drained and rinsed
3/4 cup of small pasta (I used rings)
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
3/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
1 medium zucchini, chopped
1. Line a large soup pan with water. Heat over medium-high heat until very hot.
2. Lower heat to medium and add the garlic, onions, and carrots to the pan. Cook for approximately 5 minutes, adding additional water if the pan gets dry.
3. Add the marinara sauce, water, soup base, beans, pasta, and seasonings to the soup pot. Stir until well-combined. Raise the heat to medium-high and bring the soup to a boil.
4. Once boiling, lower the heat to medium-low and simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
5. Add the chopped zucchini to the soup and simmer an additional 5 minutes.
I served my Spicy Tomato Vegetable Soup with whole grain saltine crackers and cooked peas.
This soup, oddly, in a way resembles Spaghettios and even tastes a little bit like them…but in a much more sophisticated, adult kind of way, of course! The spiciness of the soup was just right and left every single person at the dinner table very pleased. I will definitely be making this soup again.