I know that I promised to post this recipe several days ago, but with the Thanksgiving holiday and with this being one of the busiest times of year in school, I just haven’t had the time. But here it is…better late than never, right? And trust me, this is so tasty that it will be worth the wait!
Roasted Eggplant, Tomato, and Feta Cheese Stacks
Servings: 1 as a meal, or 2 as sides
1 eggplant, sliced into 1/2 inch thick slices (you need 8 slices)
2 Roma tomatoes, sliced into 1/2 inch thick slices (again, 8 slices)
EVOO cooking spray
fine sea salt
dried sweet basil
1/4 cup feta cheese crumbles
1. Begin by “salting” your eggplant. After you have cut the eggplant into slices, place the slices into a colander and sprinkle salt over each piece of eggplant. Let the eggplant sit for at least 30 minutes. This process helps remove any bitter taste from the eggplant.
2. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Rinse off the eggplant slices in cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
3. Place the eggplant slices on an EVOO-sprayed, foil-lined baking sheet. Spray the tops lightly with EVOO cooking spray.
4. Sprinkle the eggplant slices with all of the seasonings. Place into the oven and roast for 20 minutes.
5. While the eggplant is roasting, prepare a second baking sheet by lining it with foil and spraying it with EVOO cooking spray. Place the tomato slices onto the baking sheet, spray them with EVOO cooking spray, and sprinkle them with the same seasonings used for the eggplant.
6. After 20 minutes, remove the eggplant, flip it, spray with EVOO cooking spray, and season the other side. Place the eggplant and tomatoes back into the oven and roast for 20 minutes.
7. Remove the eggplant and tomatoes from the oven. Place a tomato slice onto each eggplant slice (you will have 8 stacks). Sprinkle with crumbled feta cheese. Place back into the oven and bake for approximately 5-7 minutes.
8. Place the smaller eggplant/tomato stacks onto the larger ones. You will end up with 4 stacks, each stack containing 2 eggplant slices and 2 tomato slices.
These Roasted Eggplant, Tomato, and Feta Cheese Stacks are sooo good that not only did I make them last Monday, but I made them again yesterday. They are that tasty!
I ate all four of the stacks as a meal, but you could certainly serve two as a side dish to a meal. Enjoy!