I have been a bit absent from the blogging world for the past couple of days. I won’t go into too much detail, but my brother was in a pretty serious car accident a few days ago so I have been focusing the majority of my time and energy on my family. He is doing much better now, but it will be a long road to recovery. All prayers for him during this time are sincerely appreciated!
Now enough with the sad talk, let’s get to a bit happier topic: food!
With it being Memorial Day Weekend, and all, I figured that I would hook you up with a vegetarian “grilling food” option! I don’t know about you, but when I think of Memorial Day, I definitely think about spending time with friends and family, having a few drinks, and cooking out on the grill. For many of you, that may mean making cheeseburgers. For me, I think I will stick with this amazingly delicious sandwich:
“Cheeseburger” Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Servings: Makes 1 sandwich
1 veggie burger (homemade or frozen)
1 TB Vegenaise vegan mayo or regular mayo
1 tsp sriracha sauce
olive oil cooking spray
2 pieces whole wheat bread
1 to 2 TB coconut oil (you could use margarine instead)
spinach or lettuce
white or red onion slices
bread and butter pickles
1 tomato slice
1 slice of part-skim or vegan cheddar cheese
1. Prepare veggie burger or cook pre-made veggie burger according to package directions.
2. Combine mayo and sriracha sauce. Stir well. Set aside.
3. Spray a small skillet or griddle with olive oil cooking spray. Heat over medium heat.
4. Spread coconut oil on one side of each slice of bread. Place the coconut oil side of one slice of the bread onto the griddle. Top this slice of bread with the sriracha mayo.
5. Pile spinach or lettuce, onion slices, and pickles on top of the sriracha mayo.
6. Stack the veggie burger, tomato slice, and cheese slice onto the vegetables.
7. Top the sandwich with the second slice of bread, with the coconut oil side facing up.
8. Cook the sandwich on medium-low heat for approximately 3 to 5 minutes on each side, or until the bread is toasted and the cheese has melted.
9. Slice your “Cheeseburger” Grilled Cheese Sandwich on a diagonal.
Serve up your tasty grillin’ sandwich with your favorite cookout sides, and/or your favorite vegetables. I enjoyed mine with a side of roasted fresh green beans.
I definitely recommend using homemade veggie burgers for this sandwich, but sometimes (like in my case) you are feeling lazy and a frozen pre-made veggie burger does the job just fine!
Seriously, does this sandwich not look absolutely delicious? Looks are definitely not deceiving in this situation. It tasted amazing. I was actually a bit sad once my plate was empty :(. Does that ever happen to you? So take my advice and make this sandwich on the next warm Summer day, or this weekend at your Memorial Day gathering. I promise, you will not be sorry! Who needs the meat, anyways?