WIAW…While Traveling

WIAW generalLast Wednesday I shared with you all about what I ate during my Minneapolis weekend at the Healthy Living Summit.  Today, I am going to share with you what I ate while traveling to and from the conference.  Get excited for some awesome driving eats ;).

What I Ate Wednesday…While Traveling

wiaw travel 7I started my Friday morning off with a mixed bowl of cereal: Kashi Go Lean, Cheerios, Arrowhead Mills Puffed Kamut, and Kashi Indigo Morning.  There was no milk since I was eating it in the car, but I must say (embarrassingly?) that I have gotten quite good at eating cereal while driving.

wiaw travel 3Next, I snacked on one of my favorite things: veggies!  I had cucumber slices, celery, radish slices, and baby carrots.

I also chewed a whole lot of this:

wiaw travel 8This is my favorite flavor right now.  I chew a lot of gum when I am driving because it gives me something to do and helps keep me awake.

Next up:

wiaw travel 4A good ol’ PB & J sandwich to tide me over until I got to Minneapolis.

On Sunday’s drive home I snacked on one of my current favorite obsessions:

wiaw travel 6I seriously cannot get enough of grapes right now.

I stopped about halfway through the drive for lunch.

wiaw travel 5Subway it was!  I got a veggie sub on wheat with avocado, spinach, lettuce, green peppers, tomatoes, onions, pickles, and spicy mustard.  So, so good!  Subway is pretty much the only “fast food” restaurant that I stop on while on trips.  Thank goodness there are about a million of them!

wiaw travelAbout an hour later I was hungry again, so I snacked on a very spotty banana…the best kind!

I rounded out the trip with these:

wiaw travel 2I found these at my local grocery store and thought they would be a good travel snack.  I definitely enjoyed them and would buy them again.  I love a good salty and crunchy snack!

And there you have it!  Proof that you can still eat relatively healthy while on the road.

Happy Wednesday! :)

• Katherine September 25, 2013, 7:37 am

Sometimes I get so caught up in eating my morning oatmeal that I forget how good cheerios are and other cereals! Your mixed bowl is the proper way to eat cereal!

• Katie (@runs4cupcakes) September 25, 2013, 8:23 am

I totally forgot about how good that gum was – I am going to have to pick some up!!

• Lisa September 25, 2013, 8:24 am

For some reason I’m always super bad with packing food while travelling. I think I just get too anxious with travelling I forget about food…which ends up making me more anxious. Oops.
    One day I’ll learn;)
    Looks like you still got in a great day of tasty eats, even while on the go!

• cleaneatingveggiegirl September 25, 2013, 9:11 am

I think I definitely over-pack when it comes to food (and everything really)…but I figure it is better to be prepared, right? ;)

• Amy @ The Little Honey Bee September 25, 2013, 8:34 am

Love this post because it totally proves that you can be healthy while travelling.. just need to be a little prepared :)

• Laura Likes Design September 25, 2013, 8:41 am

I love mixing cereals! I haven’t done that in awhile, but it’s always fun to switch things up. I’m also on a grape kick too–have you ever tried them frozen? Sounds strange but they’re super good.

• cleaneatingveggiegirl September 25, 2013, 9:12 am

I have!! And you’re right, they make an awesome snack..especially when it is hot out.

• blonde hair blue eyed runner September 25, 2013, 8:46 am

Yum, I love subway and good ok pb& j’s!! You fed eat better than I do on a road trip.

• Alexis September 25, 2013, 9:05 am

Yummy travel eats! Subway is one of the only places I’ll stop on the road too–love that they have avocado. That or Chipotle!

• Marie @ Little Kitchie September 25, 2013, 9:38 am

I love those soy crisps! Eat them all the time!

• Jeremy DeHague September 25, 2013, 9:39 am

Have you tried the cotton candy grapes yet?? I didn’t notice the cc taste but other people say they can.

• Ang @ Nutty for Life September 25, 2013, 10:19 am

I love Subway. It’s definitely my fave fast food chain too. The only one I go to, really, besides Pita Pit or Chipotle. I always get the veggie sub on a footlong wheat, toasted! Mmmm. I have been getting that most Fridays here at school because it’s something easy to eat at work on Friday nights.

• Nicole @ FruitnFitness September 25, 2013, 10:22 am

I love packing lots of snacks to eat while driving! Veggies and snacks that are salty and crunchy are my favorites. I also usually get some twizzlers even though I know they are not the least bit healthy.

• cleaneatingveggiegirl September 25, 2013, 12:30 pm

Oh my goodness, Twizzlers are definitely one of my weaknesses. I rarely buy them because I will literally eat a whole bag in 2 days ;).

• Mollie @Sprinkles of Life September 25, 2013, 10:32 am

Jsut becaue you’re on the road doesn’t mean you can’t eat healthy! :) Subway is my go to when busy or short on time. And you’re right, uckily they’re everywhere you turn it seems!

• Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health September 25, 2013, 12:46 pm

love all your eats except for bananas :( we are still friends? even though I do not like bananas :P

• Em @ Love A Latte September 25, 2013, 3:41 pm

OMG I LOVEEEE a footlong veggie sub just for me! Haha. Yum!!!

• Flake And Cake September 25, 2013, 3:48 pm

Lots of great travelling ideas here – love taking dry cereal to munch on instead of my fallback of Haribo! Also those chopped veggies look so crisp and tasty :) Subway is great!

• Jackie September 25, 2013, 6:39 pm

I love subway! I eat it a lot!

• Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl September 25, 2013, 7:15 pm

Subway is one of the only fast food places I’ll go too!

• cleaneatingveggiegirl September 25, 2013, 7:39 pm

Agreed!! There are only a few good ones. I can’t remember the last time I ate at McDonald’s or Burger King..ick.

• Alisha's Appetite September 25, 2013, 7:26 pm

I ALWAYS stop at subway on long trips! And 9/10 times I get spicy mustard for my sauce, too. Great minds think alike!!

• ahealthyhappyhome September 25, 2013, 10:49 pm

I need to put radishes on my grocery list this week. I love them but always forget to buy them!

• Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl October 2, 2013, 11:47 am

I have been thinking that a baked pumpkin oatmeal sounded good and yours looks really tasty. My daughter really liked the Sneaky Pete drinks!