Peanut Butter and Jelly Banana Breakfast Cookie

in Breakfast, Other

Let’s be honest.  The idea of eating cookies for breakfast pretty much sounds amazing, right?  Take my word for it.  It is amazing.  For the past couple of weeks I have been enjoying my Banana Pumpkin Breakfast Cookie.  Pumpkin is all the rage right now, after all.  Hopefully pumpkin will be okay with sharing the spotlight, though, because this new breakfast cookie sure is tasty!

pbandj breakfast cookie 2I, like many people, absolutely adore anything that involves both peanut butter and jelly.  There is just something so nostalgic and comforting about a good ‘ole PB & J, am I right?  So, when I was pondering the idea of making a new variety of breakfast cookie, it was obvious that both peanut butter and jelly needed to be involved.  It ended up being a darn good combination if you ask me, though I might be slightly biased ;).

pbandj breakfast cookie 4Peanut Butter and Jelly Banana Breakfast Cookie

Servings: Makes one cookie

Ingredients

1/2 ripe banana, mashed
2/3 cup whole rolled oats
1 TB peanut flour (I used PB2)
1 tsp chia seeds (I used the milled variety)
1 packet of natural sweetener (I used Stevia) or sugar
1/8 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
2 to 3 TB grape jelly (or whichever variety you prefer)

For topping:

1/2 ripe banana, sliced
peanut butter + cinnamon
raisins (or your other favorite dried fruit)

Directions

1. Combine mashed banana, oats, peanut flour, chia seeds, sweetener, and almond milk.  Mix well.

2. Heat jelly in microwave for approximately 20 seconds, or until it is slightly melted.  Stir the jelly into the oat mixture.

3. Spoon the oat mixture onto a plate and flatten into the shape of a cookie.  Cover the plate with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

4. In the morning, top the breakfast cookie with banana slices, the peanut butter and cinnamon mixture, and raisins.

pbandj breakfast cookie 3Yyyuuuuuummmmyy!!  Seriously.  Go make this.  And don’t be afraid to eat this for dessert, too.  Cookies are for all times of the day.

I hope you enjoy it as much as the Banana Pumpkin Breakfast Cookie!  They are both keepers!

Oh, and don’t forget to enter my giveaway for The China Study Cookbook.  This is one cookbook that you definitely want to have!

Finally, for the heads up, I am (hopefully) finally making the switch over to being self-hosted over the next week or so, so I apologize ahead of time if my blog is acting funky during all of that!

• Jackie October 7, 2013, 8:01 am

Holy yum!

• swissfitchick October 7, 2013, 8:20 am

Oh yummmmm! Seriously, I SO want this right now! Such a perfect combo.

• running4cupcakes October 7, 2013, 8:25 am

good luck making the swap!!

• Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl October 7, 2013, 8:44 am

This looks absolutely divine!! It’s going on my “to make” list! Way to go on making the switch to self-hosted.

• katielookingforward October 7, 2013, 8:50 am

Good luck on self hosting!! Good for you for taking the plunge!

• blonde hair blue eyed runner October 7, 2013, 9:09 am

That looks amazing!! I don’t have a lot if those ingredients though, need to check it out!!

• Ashley October 7, 2013, 9:15 am

One of my favorite breakfast options is slathering some peanut butter and jelly on toast … but in a breakfast cookie??? That sounds even better!

• Marisa @ Uproot from Oregon October 7, 2013, 9:18 am

This looks like a great cookie- probably better than the cookies I snack on at odd times of the day whenever I make a batch 😉 Now I’m craving PB&j….

• Sprouting an Old Soul October 7, 2013, 9:51 am

Yum!!!!!!!!!!! Yum yum yum!!! I’m definitely making a couple of these babies tomorrow morning!

• Lisa October 7, 2013, 9:55 am

Yes, this looks super! What’s better then banana, nut butter, and jelly?! It’s like the perfect childhood throwback.

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 7, 2013, 10:12 am

Replace the peanut butter with [maple] almond butter, and I’m all over this <3

• Marie @ Little Kitchie October 7, 2013, 10:16 am

I want THIS for breakfast!

• Nicole @ FruitnFitness October 7, 2013, 10:38 am

Yes, a cookie for breakfast sounds like a great idea! I think I could even eat it on my challenge if I removed the sweetener.

• cleaneatingveggiegirl October 7, 2013, 12:53 pm

Awesome! And honestly, you probably don’t really NEED the sweetener since it has banana, jelly, AND pb in it!

• katyhancock October 7, 2013, 10:55 am

Wow that looks truly unbelievable! I can’t wait until I’m out of my dorm and in a real kitchen to try it!

• Tara October 7, 2013, 12:06 pm

Woooah! This looks too good to be true! I hope your transition is smooth sailing. :)

• Becky @ Olives n Wine October 7, 2013, 12:11 pm

Oh my goodness, yes! For how many times (even this morning…) I’ve eaten your previous breakfast cookie, I can’t wait to try this one!

• cleaneatingveggiegirl October 7, 2013, 12:54 pm

Haha, I am so glad you have been enjoying it! You’ll have to let me know when you try this one!

• ashley October 7, 2013, 12:17 pm

You always have the best breakfasts!!!

• Alexis October 7, 2013, 12:26 pm

Holy yum….this looks divine! You’re kind of totally the breakfast queen.

• cleaneatingveggiegirl October 7, 2013, 12:55 pm

Haha, wow, what an honor! 😉 Breakfast is definitely one of my favorites (if not my favorite) meals of the day!!

• The Cookie ChRUNicles October 7, 2013, 1:34 pm

I have made cookies like this before- so good. It is basically the same as when I make a bowl of oatmeal just in cookie form. My son loves it. Good luck with the switch to self-hosting – I am still trying to navigate myself around the self-host world lol.

• Eating 4 Balance October 7, 2013, 6:16 pm

Oh brilliant.

I really like how you formatted the recipe too.

• carlyjg October 7, 2013, 7:37 pm

I’m totally guilty of sticking a spoon in the jar of PB, dipping it in the jam jar, then eating it. I am SO about this breakfast cookie.

• Jan @ Sprouts n Squats October 7, 2013, 7:50 pm

Yep I’m going to be making one of these this week! I’m doing a breakfast challenge with something new each day and this looks amazing!!

• cleaneatingveggiegirl October 8, 2013, 9:20 am

This would definitely be so perfect for a breakfast challenge! I can’t wait to hear what you think!

• Meghan @ fitnesscrEATures October 7, 2013, 9:47 pm

I love this idea for breakfast! I never get creative with mine and I really need to!

• cleaneatingveggiegirl October 8, 2013, 9:20 am

You absolutely should, especially when you can throw this together the night before…doesn’t get much easier than that!

• ahealthyhappyhome October 7, 2013, 11:04 pm

Yum! I just made a breakfast cookie for the Hubby for his breakfast but should have made this one! He would love it!

• Life's a Bowl October 8, 2013, 4:27 am

Two of my favorite flavors combined! PB&J anddd cinnamon + raisin… This sounds great!

• makingthymeforhealth October 8, 2013, 12:03 pm

I really need to try your breakfast cookies. They look delicious! I love peanut butter and banana together.

I can’t wait to see your new self hosted site! So exciting!!

• jessiebearwhat October 8, 2013, 1:41 pm

Gotta love a breakfast cookies :)

• katalysthealth October 8, 2013, 3:58 pm

Oh yesssss
    Love me some breakfast cookies! Ok so really I just love cookies but hey, “breakfast” cookies are healthy right? 😉 I love making these when Im craving oats but its too hot out for my usual bowl. There’s just something about eating oats in the form of a cookie that makes me go mmmmmmmm 😉

• Danica October 8, 2013, 4:54 pm

looks delicious!

• jessielovestorun October 8, 2013, 9:22 pm

Yum! I bet my banana cookie dough oatmeal I created on MyOatmeal.com would taste fabulous in this recipe. Congratulations on going self-hosting girl!

• Sabrina @ Nutritiously Sweet October 9, 2013, 8:16 am

Ohhh my my! This looks so good! PB and banana are AWESOME combos :)

• Maria@TheBrooklynFig October 9, 2013, 6:24 pm

OK- this seriously looks amazing! I’ve never had a breakfast cookie before, I just wasn’t sure it would fill me up. But adding the pb&j really intrigues me- hope to try it this weekend :)

• Brittany October 10, 2013, 10:06 am

Cookies (and cake) for breakfast is the best thing ever. These look delicious AND won’t weigh me down with a load of sugar! YUM!

• cleaneatingveggiegirl October 10, 2013, 12:52 pm

I used to eat cake for breakfast the entire week of my birthday…oh man, I’m not sure my body could handle THAT much cake anymore ;).

• Kylie @ immaeatthat October 15, 2013, 3:37 pm

ohmygosh this is PERFECT!!!!!!!!! Hooray a cookie for breakfast!
    Kylie @ immaeatthat recently posted…Classic Blueberry Muffins with Pumpkin Peanut Butter FrostingMy Profile

• ClnEatingVegGrl October 15, 2013, 7:55 pm

Cookies for breakfast are pretty much the BEST thing everrrr!!