WIAW: December 11, 2013

People are often surprised when I tell them that I follow a mostly plant-based (vegan) diet.  I am frequently asked, “what do you eat?”  Many often assume that all I eat are salads, raw vegetables, and fruits.  Since adopting this lifestyle, I have come to know that is far from true.  In fact, with a little bit of creativity and some guts (to try new things!), a plant-based diet is darn delicious.  Let’s take a look at my Saturday eats so that you can see just how simple, yet delicious a vegan diet can be.

What I Ate Wednesday Saturday

Breakfast

WIAW 112713

(recycled picture)

The first part of my breakfast was drank prior to go to the gym for my workout: a green smoothie with almond milk, Vega One chocolate protein powder, 1/3 frozen banana, frozen peach slices, frozen blueberries, and LOTS of spinach.  I am hooked on these.  Who knew getting in greens could be so tasty?

oatmeal raisin pancakes 3

After the gym and a hot shower I ate a batch of oatmeal raisin pancakes (recipe to come) topped with melted blackberry jam and peanut butter.  These were awesome!

Lunch

WIAW 121113 2

Lunch was sauteed sesame tofu dipped in barbecue sauce.  I seriously think I could drink barbecue sauce right out of the bottle ;).  On the side I ate homemade coleslaw that I made with my Nasoya vegan mayo.

Snacks

WIAW 121113

Afternoon snackage consisted of Blue Diamond coconut almonds (seriously awesome!) and raisins.

WIAW 121113 3

I also ate my favorite weekend afternoon snack: a sliced apple dipped in nut butter.  On this day I chose some crunchy Nuttso.

WIAW 121113 4

A new-to-me flavor.  It is good, but I still prefer the cola flavor.

Dinner

twice baked pizza potato 1

Dinner was a twice-baked pizza sweet potato (recipe soon!).  Combining two of my favorite foods (pizza and sweet potatoes) was definitely gooood thinking at its finest!

Snacks

My evening snacks consisted of:

WIAW 121113 5

Celery and baby carrots with hummus,

WIAW 121113 6

a Cutie and red grapes,

WIAW 121113 7

and popcorn.  I can never go too many days without eating some popcorn.  It is definitely a favorite of mine.

WIAW general

See?  A full day of healthy, protein-packed, delicious, varietal, VEGAN eats!  Oh, and plenty of future recipe teasers.  Please forgive me ;).

• Amanda @ .running with spoons. December 11, 2013, 5:47 am

One of the things I miss the most about eating a veggie diet was how much more creative I was with my eats — anyone who says that eating a plant-based diet is boring is just doing it wrong ;)
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted…. lightened up chocolate gingerbread brownies .My Profile

• ClnEatingVegGrl December 11, 2013, 7:17 am

Haha, I love it!! You are so right Amanda :).

• kelly @ hidden fruits and veggies December 11, 2013, 6:36 am

That tofu looks seriously delicious — before I read the text, I thought you went out for lunch somewhere. Mmmm. And I’m still holding out for someone to come up with BBQ sauce soup. It needs to happen.

• ClnEatingVegGrl December 11, 2013, 7:18 am

Thanks, Kelly! It was some GOOD tofu. And honestly..you have my mind REALLY thinking now…bbq sauce soup sounds fantastic! ;)

• Jessie December 11, 2013, 8:45 am

Dying to know about this sweet potato pizza recipe. I plan on making sweet potato bbq & feta bites tonight, but yours sounds delicious too!!!
    Jessie recently posted…Apple & Date Protein SmoothieMy Profile

• ClnEatingVegGrl December 11, 2013, 4:33 pm

That sounds awesome. I love the combination of sweet potatoes and bbq sauce!

• Ashlee@HisnHers December 11, 2013, 10:37 am

Is that sesame tofu a recipe that I may have missed or coming soon?! Looks delicious!!

• ClnEatingVegGrl December 11, 2013, 4:46 pm

Well if you can call it a recipe…I just marinated it in Bragg’s Liquid Aminos with a dash of sesame oil. SO simple!

• Stephanie @ My Freckled Life December 11, 2013, 10:40 am

I’m so excited for the pancake and the sweet potato recipes!! Looks like a great day of eats! I’m not vegan myself, but I’ve known enough vegans/vegetarians to know how many times they get asked that question – “What do you eat?” It has to get annoying! haha.

• ClnEatingVegGrl December 11, 2013, 4:47 pm

Haha, it somewhat gets annoying but it is almost laughable too, especially when I tell them ALL that I eat! ;)

• meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles December 11, 2013, 10:48 am

I love combining pizza flavors with my sweet potatoes – funny how I posted that today too!
    meredith @ The Cookie ChRUNicles recently posted…What I Ate Wednesday – More Carbs PleaseMy Profile

• ClnEatingVegGrl December 11, 2013, 4:47 pm

SO funny, right?? Great minds think a like! ;)

• Ang @ Nutty for Life December 11, 2013, 11:29 am

I can’t wait for that twice baked pizza sweet potato recipe! It looks totally amazing. I think I’d be a big fan. It also seems like a super creative way to get in a bunch of different veggies. I have yet to try a Zevia, but I have a feeling I would like them.
    Ang @ Nutty for Life recently posted…Sriracha May Be Better Than Ketchup [WIAW #36]My Profile

• ClnEatingVegGrl December 11, 2013, 4:48 pm

The more veggies the better, right? And you should definitely try Zevia. I especially love the Cola and the Lemon Lime flavor.

• Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health December 11, 2013, 12:07 pm

that pizza looks good. you have been really creative with pancakes lately, keep it coming my friend :)
    Dixya @ Food, Pleasure, and Health recently posted…Joy’s Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies {Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap}My Profile

• ClnEatingVegGrl December 11, 2013, 4:48 pm

I have been LOVING pancakes lately, so there will definitely be more to come!

• Agnes December 11, 2013, 12:43 pm

Your lunch looks amazing. I haven’t had tofu for ages, must do something about that! By the way, have you every tried kecap manis (it’s a sweet, thick soy sauce) as a dipping sauce for your tofu? If not I highly recommend it. :)

• ClnEatingVegGrl December 11, 2013, 4:49 pm

I have never tried that, but it sounds SO good! What store do you buy it at?

• Joanna @Makingmine December 11, 2013, 12:55 pm

You make it look so simple! Everything looks delicious! Shopping is my biggest battle to good cooking – I hate the grocery store!
    Joanna @Makingmine recently posted…post-baby body: finalMy Profile

• ClnEatingVegGrl December 11, 2013, 4:50 pm

I usually enjoy grocery shopping, but NOT during the holiday season. It is a nightmare lately :/.

• Jackie December 11, 2013, 1:52 pm

Can’t wait for the pizza potato recipe!
    Jackie recently posted…Easy Snacking! Shhh it is healthy!!My Profile

• ClnEatingVegGrl December 11, 2013, 4:52 pm

I’ll try to get it up soon! :)

• Allison @ Life's a Bowl December 11, 2013, 2:03 pm

Raisins, nut butter, veggies, pancakes, sweet potatoes… Plus a few other things, looks EXACTLY like my day today!
    Allison @ Life’s a Bowl recently posted…Living in a Winter WonderlandMy Profile

• ClnEatingVegGrl December 11, 2013, 4:52 pm

The best days are days that include veggies, nut buter, and sweet potatoes :).

• Jan @ Sprouts n Squats December 11, 2013, 2:25 pm

Your diet is anything but boring! Can’t wait for that pancake recipe! I also love the sound of that pizza sweet potato, yum!
    Jan @ Sprouts n Squats recently posted…Wordless WIAWMy Profile

• ClnEatingVegGrl December 11, 2013, 4:53 pm

Thanks Jan!! I am glad to hear other people loving the sounds of a veg/vegan diet!

• Ashley December 11, 2013, 2:46 pm

You have me wanting your lunch right now! And those coconut almonds look delicious! They remind me of the coconut cashews from Trader Joes – so good!! We go through them way too fast though…
    Ashley recently posted…Caramel Latte Thumbprint CookiesMy Profile

• ClnEatingVegGrl December 11, 2013, 4:53 pm

That was the first time that I tried those almonds and they were SO good!! I will have to try the cashews from TJ’s!

• Mary (A Merry Life) December 11, 2013, 4:50 pm

I’d love the twice-baked pizza sweet potato recipe. I have 2 sweet potatoes in my pantry that I couldn’t decide what to do with and that sounds delicious!
    Mary (A Merry Life) recently posted…New Workout: BlogilatesMy Profile

• ClnEatingVegGrl December 11, 2013, 4:55 pm

They are SO good! I will try to get the recipe up soon!

• Elyse @ Lizzie Fit December 11, 2013, 6:39 pm

I looove twice baked sweet potatoes! I also love Zevia. Ginger ale is my fave :)
    Elyse @ Lizzie Fit recently posted…My Top 10 Favourite Healthy Cooking ToolsMy Profile

• ClnEatingVegGrl December 15, 2013, 8:14 pm

Zevia is an awesome alternative for when I am craving a soda! I’ll have to give the ginger ale flavor a try next.

• Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate December 12, 2013, 3:17 am

I get that question so often also, and I actually enjoy showing people the big wide world of fruit and veggies. ;-) Your snacks are perfection, I am thinking my popcorn obsession may reemerge very soon.

• ClnEatingVegGrl December 15, 2013, 8:15 pm

Yes, it is super fun to “prove” to people that plant-based eating is SUPER delicious!