I have made a bean burger or two in my day. Most of my vegetable burgers consist of some type of bean, vegetables, oats or bread crumbs, a binder, and seasonings. This time, my vegetable burger was a bit different. These bean burgers had a deliciously crunchy and crispy texture, all thanks to…tortilla chips! Who knew that chips could be so tasty in burger form? Heck, who am I kidding? Chips are almost always delicious, right? 😉
Spicy Tortilla Chip Bean Burgers
Adapted from this recipe.
Servings: Makes 4 burgers
olive oil cooking spray
1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 bunch green onions, roughly chopped
1/2 small red bell pepper, roughly chopped
1/2 cup spicy tortilla chips*, crushed
1/3 cup salsa (I used a combination of traditional medium salsa and salsa verde)
fine sea salt**
4 whole wheat buns, optional
desired burger toppings, optional
*I used these chips:
I chose these chips because they came in the perfect-sized individual serving bag, they sounded deeeelicious (they are!), and they had a great ingredients list:
**I did not measure the amount of seasonings that I used. Instead, I just tossed in a few sprinkles of each.
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a baking sheet with olive oil cooking spray.
2. Dice the green onions and red peppers very finely, or process in a food processor.
3. Smash the beans with a fork until they are mostly mashed but a few whole beans remain in tact. Stir in onion and red pepper mixture, salsa, chips, and seasonings.
4. Separate the burger mixture into four equal portions. Form into the shape of burger patties. The mixture will be quite liquidy, so this will be messy!
5. Bake the burgers for approximately 20 minutes. Carefully flip the burgers and continue cooking an additional 15 to 20 minutes, or until both sides of the burgers are golden and slightly crispy. You may need to cook them a bit longer, depending on the desired texture that you are trying to reach.
Serve the burgers on buns with your favorite toppings (avocado would be awesome!), or eat them bun-less like I did.
No matter how you serve the burgers, at least ensure that you serve them alongside your favorite veggie. I chose one of my favorites: roasted brussel sprouts!
Happy Tuesday, everyone! Tuesday is my least favorite day of the week, so let’s hope it is a good/quick one!